Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Consulting involves helping business owners utilize the appropriate keywords and content structure to make their web sites more friendly to the major search engines – thus improving their “rankings” and increasing their site traffic.
SEO may exploit several search types including:
- Image – A specialized date search used to find images
- Video – A search engine which scans the internet for video content
- Academic – Accessing major databases to finding and accessing article in academic journals, repositories, archives or other collections of scientific and other articles.
- News – By utilizing the more advanced XML News sitemap options enabling the web site to appear as often and int the best way possible in Google News and in universal search results.
- Industry-specific vertical search engines – A search engine that focuses on a specific segment of online content based on topicality, media type or genre of content.
Optimizing a web site may involve editing its content, Hyper-Text Markup Language (HTML), and associated coding to both increase it relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines.
The ultimate objective is to have the web site “rank” first by being listed at the very top of an browser’s search results. Why? Because studies have shown that 93% of all buying decisions start with an online search and “first” page rankings get 91.5% of Google traffic. Most people don’t bother going beyond the first page. If your web site is located on the second page of a Google search, it will only get to share 4.8% of the traffic along with all other web sites on the page. Page three listings get only 1.1%.